Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How do you pronounce Beaulieu?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This may sound kind of dumb, but I have always wondered if I'm pronouncing certain camera brands right. Like Beaulieu, I say it how it looks but I never know for sure. I'm afraid that I'll be talking to someone about a Beaulieu or something and say it wrong and they'll think I'm stupid. So could anyone who knows please tell me. Oh, and while you're at it how about Arriflex and Chinon?

    Corey

    Oh, and feel free to add any that are also weird. There are more, I'm sure, I just can't come up with them at the moment.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roget's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2001
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always heard "Boo-Lee." I've used that in public, and never been accused of mispronouncing it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe it's like "bowl-you".

  4. #4
    Inactive Member calgodot's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Il est prononce "bowl-yew."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Scotness's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2002
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes I've been reliably informed by the owner of Beaulieu Cinema Services, Australia that it is bowl-you. And when you say that to people here they usually say "Bolex?". Before I knew the correct way I used to say Byou-low - the funniest one I heard was Boy-lee-o

    Scot

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roget is closest to how we pronounce it in England - it is also a town here with a Norman castle, and it's pronounced Byoow-li, strangely enough.

    Obviously it's a French word, and I also assumed that it should be pronounced Bow-lieu, but I was corrected by a more cleverer person than what I is recently, who confidently claimed to be right, whatever that's worth!

    Matt Bastruc should be able to give us a fairly difinitive answer, huh?

    Lucas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •